Wednesday, September 17, 2014

What me worry?



It was 2:17 in the morning when it happened.  I woke up.  But more than that, I woke up and it was pouring out, and my first thought was a question.  Did I put the roof up on my car when I came home?  The obvious answer was, yes.  I have been driving convertibles since I was 18 years old and I have never forgotten to put the roof up for the night. Never.  At least that’s what I tried to convince myself of at 2:17 in the morning and again at 2:25 and 2:30.  Finally, I couldn’t stand it anymore and I got up, went downstairs and looked out the garage window to confirm that my roof was indeed up.
Why do we so often default to the negative and worry about things that we know we shouldn’t worry about?.  In the case of my middle of the night obsession, the solution was easy. I went and checked and then I went  back to sleep. 
What is it that wakes you up in the middle of the night?  At that point there are two things that you need to know:  Can you do something about it or not?  If you can, then do it, if you can’t, then go back to sleep.    Have a great week and remember: To see what is really possible, you will have to attempt the impossible.

No comments: