Wednesday, November 2, 2016

A Life Well Lived


Last week I drove to Quispamsis to attend the funeral of Evelyn Ingersoll, the elderly widow of one our pastors.  It’s something I do. To quote Yogi Berra, “If you don’t go to other people’s funerals they won’t come to yours”.  
 During the funeral, Evie’s daughter-in-law, used the phrase, “A life well lived.” And I thought to myself: At my funeral, I want the preacher to be able to say that and have everyone else nod in agreement.
Scott and Evie had retired from the pastorate and were dorm parents when I first went to Bible College and they helped ground me in my faith.  During those four years it was very apparent that Evelyn Ingersoll’s life was indeed “a life well lived.” She loved her God, her family and the ministry and that indeed is a life worth emulating.

The question has to be: How do we live in such a way, that people won’t have to lie at our funeral?  And I think Jesus answered that when he told us: You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul and all your mind and love your neighbour as yourself.  And if you do that, then people will say nice things about you when you die.   
        
Have a great week and remember: To see what is really possible, you will have to attempt the impossible.

No comments: