Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Misplaced outrage

I'm supposed to be on vacation, not writing, but I just have to ask: Seriously ,what is wrong with society today? I like lions as much as the next guy; in an abstract way that is, I don't really know any lions personally. And in vague terms I thought “that's a shame” when I heard about Cecil the lion being shot in Zimbabwe. I may have even thought the hunter was a bit of a jerk. But then the shooting of poor Cecil started to trend and the social media lynch mobs armed themselves with metaphorical torches and pitchforks and demanded justice or retribution or something for Cecil. 

And I remembered the deafening silence that has followed the martyrdom of Christians in the Middle East by ISSI and realized the sad commentary that was about our society in general.
On the same day that Cecil was killed, people around the world were losing their lives, victims of violence and injustice. Yet instead of being outraged or saddened by the loss of human lives, society chose to ignore their plight to focus on the death of an animal…… a really large and majestic animal, but still an animal and I wonder what that says about society? Have a great week and remember: To see what is really possible, you will have to attempt the impossible.

No comments: