Thursday, September 10, 2015

Bad parenting or bad choices?



I have never watched 19 Kids and Counting, I didn’t watch 18 Kids and Counting or 17 Kids and Counting. I have never had the slightest desire to peek into the lives of Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar and their brood. If reality TV had to rely on me, then television would look very different.  Anything I know about the Duggars I have picked up peripherally, from conversations I have overheard concerning the family.

Recently however the Duggars have had their show canceled and have been all over the news because of the behaviour of their oldest son, Josh. First there were revelations that while Josh was a young teen he molested a number of younger girls, and recently he was outed as having been on the Ashley Madison list.
The world, and some Christians, seem to take delight in Josh’s fall.  I’m not defending Josh Duggar, he made his choices but I find it difficult to comprehend that there are those who blame Jim Bob and Michelle for Josh’s failings. 

I’ve discovered that many times how our kids turn out is more good luck than good management.  Like the Duggars, most of us do our best and hope for the best.  And if it’s a comfort, remember, God has problems with His kids too.  Have a great week and remember: To see what is really possible, you will have to attempt the impossible.

No comments: